Ashton Preserve is a planned 176-acre, rural residential cluster
subdivision of estate homes in
Maryland. It is Montgomery County's
first rural cluster zoning community, set in
a way that preserves the
surrounding rural character and natural habitat.
Located in the Ashton-Sandy Spring area (scroll
down for Ashton-Sandy Spring census and demographics) and
developed by Winchester Homes, Ashton Preserve is comprised of 70 single-family wooded and meadowed homesites
ranging from one-half to one-third acre, bordered by 4 ten-acre
This exclusive community of million
dollar homes backs to Woodlawn
Park, home of historic
Woodlawn Manor and
Unique features of this upscale community include the
for which Sandy Spring,
Maryland was named, as well as
the Rural Legacy Trail.
[NOTE: THE SANDY SPRING COMMUNITY
TOOK ITS NAME FROM THIS SPRING, WHICH PROVIDES FRESH WATER FILTERED THROUGH
THE SANDY SOIL. IN 1745, THE SPRING WAS LOCATED ON WHAT WAS ONCE KNOWN AS
"SNOWDEN'S MANOR" AND LATER KNOWN AS "HAREWOOD"].
For exhaustive information on this region, be sure to visit the
Sandy Spring Museum
online and in person!
five different home styles built by
Winchester Homes in Ashton
Preserve, each with several elevations and many with
Winchester's "your home, your way" customizations and
Ashton-Sandy Spring, Maryland
Population (year 2000): 3,437
Males: 1,617 (47.0%),
Females: 1,820 (53.0%)
Land area: 7.6 square miles
Zip code: 20861
Median resident age: 43.2 years
income: $73,458 (year 2000)
Median house value: $276,400 (year
- White Non-Hispanic (79.3%)
- Black (12.3%)
- Hispanic (3.5%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- Asian Indian (1.2%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Korean (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (17.0%), Irish (15.3%), English
(15.1%), United States (6.4%), Scottish (5.8%), Italian
population 25 years and over in Ashton-Sandy Spring
- High school or higher: 91.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 49.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 23.0%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.2 minutes
For population 15 years and
over in Ashton-Sandy Spring CDP
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 62.2%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 11.2%
- Divorced: 5.4%
8.4% Foreign born (3.4% Europe, 2.7% Latin America, 1.6%
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Aspen Hill,
MD (7.0 miles, pop. 50,228).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+:
DC (16.3 miles, pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+:
PA (140.3 miles, pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Cloverly,
MD (3.5 miles), Colesville,
MD (4.8 miles), Olney, MD
(5.2 miles), Burtonsville,
MD (5.3 miles), Rossmoor,
MD (5.8 miles), Fairland,
MD (5.9 miles), Aspen Hill,
MD (7.0 miles), Calverton,
MD (7.3 miles).
Industries providing employment: Educational, health and
social services (25.3%),
Professional, scientific, management, administrative and waste management
services (20.5%), Public administration (11.4%), Retail trade
Hospitals/medical centers near Ashton-Sandy Spring:
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to
Other public-use airports nearest to Ashton-Sandy Spring:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to
- HOWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; COLUMBIA, MD; Full-time
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (about 12 miles; Adelphi, MD; FT
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; FT enrollment: 11,829)
- CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF AMERICA (about 15 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT
- UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (about 16 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 8,859)
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT
Ashton-Sandy Spring compared to Maryland state average:
- Median household income significantly above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher
significantly above state average.
The accuracy or
timeliness of any information on this site is not guaranteed. This data has been
compiled from multiple government and commercial sources.
Use at your own